Wellness is a journey – a personal journey, an ever evolving journey. We can make use of many things as tools for making this our best possible journey. I recently had an incredible book cross my path: “EMMA – Her Adventures In New York City”, by Debi Allen. Emma is a beautiful dog who lives in New York City with her parents. The focus for Ms. Allen in this book was that of showing children how they can live their best life. She did a marvelous job by having Emma share a day in her life in New York City, with all of its excitement and opportunities.
This is not meant to be a review – if you would like to see my review of this book, you can click here: https://bonniecehovet.wordpress.com/2021/09/25/review-emma-her-adventures-in-new-york-city/. What I would like to do here is to address the myriad ways in which this book can be put to use, to make a very real difference in the lives of children and adults.
The presentation in this book is what I would term ‘gentle”. The basic light blue/green color from the cover is carried out as a background color throughout the book. It has a calming effect on the reader, and makes one feel safe. The other colors used are also pastels, with minimal imagery and good use of space. Even though Emma’s adventures take place in New York City, she always has plenty of room surrounding her.
Emma visits places in New York City that everyone has heard of. She chats with her canine friends on street corners,has lunch with them, goes shopping with them, and has a wonderful time. At the end of her very busy day she goes home to her brownstone, has dinner, and goes to bed. She is a happy puppy!
Ms. Allen writes in a manner that allows Emma to be used as a portal, or gateway for conversation with children. (I would like to add here that I feel this book could also be used with adults that have developemental issues, and function on the level of a child.) Some of the ways that I feel this book would function well are:
- In a pediatric hospital ward.
- In a pediatricians office.
- In a dental office catering to children.
- As a tool for a pediatric therapist/counselor.
- As a tool for police/social workers who find themselves dealing with children in crisis.
- As a tool for parents to keep children occupied on long trips.
- In grade school libraries.
- For use by teachers as a way to get children to read.
- For use by school counselors as a gateway to encouraging children to talk about what is bothering them.
- As a gift to a child, grandchild, greatgrandchild, niece, nephew, neighbor child, co-workers child – the list is endless!
- As a small holiday gift or stocking stuffer.
A tool is what you make of it … the uses for this amazing book are limited only by your imagination! And … there is a rumor that there will be a sequil!
If you would like to purchase a signed copy of this book you can e-mail Ms. Allen at email@example.com.
(c) September 2021 Bonnie Cehovet
Reproduction forbidden without written permission from the author.